1. What printing processes can be used on X-Board?
Screen printing (solvent & UV) & digital UV flatbed inkjet printing.
2. Do Xanita’s products contribute to points for Green Building Ratings?
Yes. Exact calculations are required for either LEED or Green Star Ratings.
3. What are the advantages of using X-Board Print and Kraft in the signage and printing industry?
X-Board allows designers to be more creative due to the high strength-to-weight features, structural and shaping benefits of X-Board.
X-Board can be flatpacked and its light weight, reduces energy costs in transportation.
4. Can X-Board be used as a suspended bulkhead or as a finishing material?
Yes. This is supported by the fact that X-Board achieved a Class 4 Fire Rating as per SANS 10177 Part 3.
5. What are the advantages of using X-Board Print and Kraft in Point-of-Purchase displays?
Flat-packability. Strength versus standard corrugated cardboard. 7 times lighter than MDF. 100% repulpable.
6. How can I butt-join sheets of X-Board Print and Kraft?
Straight cuts may be butt joined by fixing the board to a frame behind the joint, or by sliding the board into a typical H-type section. V-cut joints (which are folded back) can be joined against each other by creating a neat butt joint with no open edges.
7. What thickness and sheet sizes are available for X-Board Print and X-Board Kraft?
Please see our “Products” pages in the main menu above.
8. What Fire-Rating (FR) does X-Board have?
X-Board, X-Board Kraft and X-Board Decor:
- DIN 4102 and SANS 0177 approved
- X-Board Lite -SANS 0177 approved
Look at the bottom of each product page for a PDF to download.
10. What can I use to edge X-Board Print or Kraft?
Flexible or semi-rigid extruded PVC sections, aluminium sections, self-adhesive tape and paper. X-Board Plus can be edged with conventional ABS, acrylic or PVC on standard edging machines because of the 3-6mm rigid engineered skins on either side of the X-Core central layer.
11. How is X-Board Print and Kraft cut and formed into various structures and 3D shapes?
Through the use of digital CNC cutting tables, standard woodwork equipment, laser-cutters, by hand with hobby-knife. Watch our YouTube channel for more info.
12. Is X-Board water resistant?
X-Board Print and X-Board Kraft are not waterproof. However, there is a durable water and humidity barrier between the liner and the inner core. Limited water exposure to the edges of the board will not cause product failure or any damage to the interply adhesion. Exposure of the board’s surface to water is not recommended, but the water will not penetrate into the core and weaken the board, unlike competitor product which uses water-based PVA adhesive to glue liner onto core material.
13. How vulnerable is X-Board to humidity and moisture?
As both products are kraft-based it is to be expected that they may adjust somewhat according to the environment to which they are exposed. A barrier liner between the inner and outer core assists in giving the boards excellent resistance against a range of humidity conditions. We suggest you place small samples of X-Board in your freezer for 24 hour to witness for yourself any changes in the board.
14. How vulnerable is X-Board to heat?
X-Board Print and X-Board Kraft can with withstand a maximum temperature of up to 70°C; however, recommended application temperature is between 5°C and 45°C with a general heat resistance of up to 60°C.
15. What can I use to paint the board and what preparations must be made?
Water-based emulsion acrylics are relatively quick drying, produce little odour and are more environmentally-friendly. Solvent-based paints take longer to dry than the water-based alternatives, have a stronger odour and are considered less environmentally-friendly. Ensure that the board is supported during painting to prevent warping. Warping usually occurs when the paint dries. No special treatment is required before painting. We recommend that both sides of the board be painted to balance the board. Alternatively we advise that the board be secured if one-side is painted only. Test prior to production.
16. Which adhesives/glues can be used on X-Board Print or Kraft?
Standard PVA adhesives are recommended, or any adhesive traditionally used for kraft or wood applications.
17. Can heavy structures be hung from X-Board Print or Kraft?
Yes. The boards are strong enough to hold fixtures. Each design will require minimal testing to ascertain what load the fitting can accommodate. Our converters will be able to determine and source most suitable fittings.
18. Can I drill into X-Board Print or Kraft?
Yes. Any form of power or hand drill will drill neatly in to the board.
19. Can I laminate films onto X-Board Print or Kraft?
Yes. This can be done using mechanical pinch-roller laminators or manually, using adhesive spray. Always test on an A2 size sheet before commencing full-production.
20. Can I use X-Board Print or Kraft as ceiling boards?
This will depend on the building regulations in your country. X-Board print has been successfully used in suspended ceilings and bulkheads where the building regulations allow the material. In suspended ceilings, be aware of large temperature variances between the ceiling cavity and often airconditioned office below.
Suggest new FAQ questions by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org